Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Chapter 2.32: Arrested

     Emrys watched her mom as they approached the house.

     "It's changed so much," Rebecca murmured.

     Emrys took her mothers hand and squeezed it.

     "Yeah," Ochre agreed, "I think Mom and Dad built the workshops after you left.  The second story and my rocket work area were added when I was fifteen.  They've added a back patio with a pool, a playground and a party area in the back corner."

     "Are you ready," Emrys asked.

     Rebecca looked at her, "I'll never be ready.  I was so horrible before I left.  I'm sure Ray doesn't want to see me again."

     "Mom's been waiting for you to come home since you left Aunt Becky," Ochre said.

     Rebecca looked at him for a moment then nodded.

     "Let's go," she said.


     "Becks," Rachael rushed forward and wrapped her younger sister in a hug.

     "Hi, Ray," Rebecca murmured and returned her hug.


     After their initial greeting everyone moved into the kitchen where Rachael brewed a pot of coffee and everyone drank a cup as they reconnected.

     "I didn't recognized Ochre when he and Ermys showed up to save me earlier," Rebecca said.


     "He and Hunter have grown so much.  And Saffron's almost a teenager now."

     "Who," Rebecca asked and glance at Emrys.

     "My brother and sister," Ochre explained.

     "You had another child," she asked Rachael.

     "Don't worry mom," Emrys said, "you can take a class on the family tree with Ochre.  He doesn't know who is who at reunion's either."

     "Mommy," Amy called running into the kitchen.  "there's a retitle at class and the teacher said I can play a song all by myself."

     "That's amazing mini-me.  A recital all by yourself," Emrys glanced at Rebecca who was looking at her granddaughter in surprise.

     "There's someone I want you to meet, Amy," she said turning her daughter to face her mother who stood up to get a better look at the girl.


     "This is your grandmother.  Mom this is Amy, my daughter."

     "It's nice to meet you Amy," Rebecca said.

     "Nice to meet you.  Will you come to the retitle too and watch me play?"

     "I would be honored," Rebecca said.

     Amy tilted her head.  "She means yes, she'll go," Emrys explained.

     Amy smiled brightly and ran to Ochre, "Did you hear that Daddy?  Grandma is coming to the retitle."

     "I heard.  How about I come watch you practice the song you are going to play," he said.

     "Okay," she said, taking his hand and pulling him out of the kitchen.

     Rebecca turned and looked at Emrys in shock.

     Emrys ducked her head and shrugged, "we're married now," she muttered.

     "We're both grandmothers now," Rachael stated.

     "I think I might need something stronger to drink," Rebecca said dropping back onto the stool and picking up her cup.


     It was later that night when Cerulean, Toya, Hunter and Emrys's brother arrived home.  After they presented all the files they had put together Cerulean had called the house to let them know that the tribunal had agreed to arrest Joel while they looked through the documents themselves.  

     The court had given special consideration to the case of Emrys's brother and agreed to let them bring him home to Rebecca where they could make sure he was safe until decisions were made.

     Hunter was told to collect the boy from the school and to bring him home.  Cerulean met Hunter and the boy and drove them to the house, where everyone waited for them.


     "Rickie!" Rebecca called and hugged him when he walked in the door.

     "Mom," he said and squeezed her tight.

     Emrys looked at the boy who was her brother.  He was tall, like their dad, but he still had the lanky build and awkward coordination of someone who was unsure of what to do with himself.

     "Emrys," Rebecca said pulling back from the boy and turning to gesture to her.


     Emrys stood up and walked over to them.

     "Your brother Rickie," Rebecca said.  "I named him after dad," she added looking at Rachael.

     "Hi," Emrys said.

     "Hi.  I didn't know I had a sister," he said.

     "I didn't know I had a brother."

     "Do you like computers?"

     "Not at all," Emrys admitted, "but my friend Toya," a nod in his direction, "loves them."

     "Cool," the boy said

     Just then the news came on the TV.  Emrys and everyone turned to look at the feature story.

     "Big news in the financial world today, the multi-millionaire Joel Mulligan has been arrested.  Sources inside the Tribunal say that multiple counts of murder, conspiracy to commit murder and unlawful imprisonment are among the charges filed against him."

     The picture switched from the news anchor to a video of Joel being walked out of his office building between Enforcers.

     "The Enforcer agencies of the Jefferson colony are also under scrutiny.  One of the murders Joel is implicated in is the death of his own brother Kaleb Mulligan."

     Emrys picked up the TV remote and clicked off the set.

     "It's over," Rebecca said.

     "Almost," Emrys corrected.

                                                                                                  
Random Ramblings

   Time to catch up with the family and get to know everyone again.

No comments:

Post a Comment