Sunday, October 12, 2014

Chapter 1.4: Promises

     Two days later Rachael went to the hospital after school to pick up River while the others went straight home.  Rachael just stared at the little bundle on the car ride home.  Oh boy, what am I doing? she thought to herself, I'm not a mother.


     Rachael carried the baby upstairs and put her in the bassinet.  The tiny baby looked up at her and burbled happily.  Rachael couldn't help but smile until the baby started crying.

     "Wait, what.  Why are you crying? Are you hungry? Hold on," Rachael ran downstairs to the kitchen, whipped up a bottle and ran back to the room.  Cradling the baby, she fed her the bottle.


     "Well that wasn't so bad, but you're gonna cry for everything.  Not just bottles but diapers too.  And because you're lonely.  Well, with four older brothers and sister I doubt you will get lonely much."


     "You know you're pretty cute when you're not crying.  Fighting with us, boys breaking your heart, breaking their hearts.  I guess there is a lot in your future that will make you cry."


     "Things are tough right now.  Mom is gone, your dad is falling apart, the others are terrified."

     Rachael rocked River smiling as the baby sneezed and kicked her legs.  "I will promise you this River, I won't let this family fall apart.  I haven't told anyone else yet but I am going to take over as Head of the House.  I'll make sure you and Rhidian, Rhonan and Rebecca are cared for. I promise."

     "I just hope I'm able to keep this promise." she murmured to herself.  She smiled as the baby yawned and her eyes drifted closed.

     "Night, little River," she said putting the baby back in the bed.

     Going downstairs she checked on her siblings, Rhonan and Becky were watching tv, some show with a blue police box that seemed to be flying in space.  Rachael shook her head in disbelief and tracked Rhidian in the living room reading a book.

     "Good book?" she asked sitting at the computer and turning it on.

     "Interesting, but not one I'm gonna want to keep.  My friend Brian from the book club has offered to trade for the newest best seller."

     "Cool," Rachael wasn't much into books so turned her attention to the mail stack on the desk.

     Bill, bill, junk, another bill.  Rachael sighed.  Putting her elbows on the desk she dropped her head to her hands she sighed again.

     "Problem," Rhidian asked.

     "Do you want the truth or the not scary option," she said, chuckling.  It was a favorite saying of their mother's.  Brynna had always believed in telling her children the truth even if it was unwanted but she always told them something to make it better.

     "Both please."

     "We've got a lot of bills.  The monthly household bills, and now there are the medical bills from mom's accident."

     "That's a problem?" Rhidian asked coming over to stand next to the desk.

     Rachael rolled her head to the side to look at her brother, "kinda, yeah.  We don't have mom's income anymore and Patrick retired."

     "And he's drinking most of his pension."

     She nodded, "now for the not scary option.  I'll figure something out so please don't worry."


     "I'll try, but let us know if Rhonan and I can help," he wrapped his knuckles on the table before leaving the room.

     "Sure," she said looking at the computer screen.  Pulling up her email Rachael smiled when she saw a familiar name in her inbox.  She opened the mail and started reading.

Hey Ray,

     Long time no write.  I heard about your mom.  How are you holding up? How are you brothers and sister?

     Please write back and let me know.  But take your time.  I'll be here when you're ready to write.

Mags



     Rachael hit reply and started typing.

Hey Mags,

     Sorry I haven't written but it has been really crazy around here.  At first I couldn't make myself believe that it was real.  That mom was really gone.  The never to come back kind of gone.  And then there were the others and Patrick to take care of.

     It's kind of a mess here right now.  Patrick isn't taking mom's death well at all.  He's started drinking and I'm worried about him.  Rhid, Rho, and Becky seem to be doing better than him at least.

     Some good news though is that River came home.  I now have four siblings.  

     Some scary news is that I have to take over as Head.  Yeah, you read that right.  Me.  As Head.  I haven't told anyone else here yet.  I'm scared about it.  It's a lot of responsibility and I don't know if I can handle it, but I can only try.  Right?

      Agh, give me some news of how you are doing.  Some happy, happy news if you please.

Take care,
Ray

     Rachael hit send.


                                                                                                                                             

Random Ramblings

   Moving right along....

2 comments:

  1. Ah!! I hope she can manage. I can't even imagine how she's feeling right now. Poor girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stressed..scared..determined..wants to run away. You can name, she's probably felt it over the last month and in the last week too.

    ReplyDelete