Friday, October 24, 2014

Chapter 1.8: Still Invited?

     On Friday Rachael came home from work tired.  Work had been crazy that week.  Three of the authors had deadlines to meet that week and they became real needy at that time, calling Rachael for every little thing.  Rachael walked in the door and dropped her bag at the door stretching out the stiff muscles in her neck as she passed through the living room.


     She looked in the girls room first.

     "Hey you two, is your homework done," she asked finding them inside.

     "I'm finishing my homework now," River said from the bed.

     "Becks?" Rachael said when the older girl didn't answer.

     "I'll get to it later, Ray," she grumbled.

     "Fine.  Just remember if you don't get it done before the outing tomorrow you don't get to go," she said leaving the room.

     Rachael was walking to her room when her phone rang.  "Hello," she said answering the call.

     "Rachael?"

     "Speaking, who is this?"

     "This is Cerulean.  Mags brother."

     "Yeah, of course, Cerulean.  I know you're Mags brother I just didn't recognize your voice over the phone.  Are you calling about the park trip?"

     "Yes.  That is if we're still invited."

     "You're still invited.  Do you want to meet at the park then."

     "Alright.  What time?"

     "Usually we'll get there around one, the girls will play for a while, I'll cook burgers or dogs for a late lunch and then we go home."

     "Okay so we'll meet around one thirty."

     "Okay.  See you there."


     The girls were playing on the giant pirate ship when Cerulean and Ochre arrived at the park.

     "Rachael."

     She turned when he called her name.


     "You made it.  How are you Ochre?"

     The solemn little boy nodded his head at her question.

     "Good," Rachael said with a nod.

     "River," she called her sister over.


     "River this is Ochre.  He's new and he came to play with you.  Can you show him around the playground?  But stay within sight."

     "Sure Ray.  Come on Ochre," she said taking the boy by the hand and pulling him over to the playground.

     "Thanks for asking them to stay in sight," Cerulean said as they sat on the park bench.

     "If one of the girls had ever been taken from me I wouldn't ever let them out of my sight again.  Honestly, I can't count the number of nights I stood over River's crib watching her sleep when she finally came home after mom died.  It felt like if I wasn't watching her she would just disappear into thin air."

     "Yeah, that's pretty much the feeling I have," Cerulean agreed.


     "So I was wondering if I could take you out for dinner sometime.  As a thank you for this, for inviting Ochre out with your sisters."

     "You don't have to thank me.  He seems like a good kid.  I think him and River will be good friends after this," Rachael said looking to where the kids were climbing on the monkey bars.

     "I'm trying to ask you out for a date Rachael," Cerulean said.

     Rachael turned to look at him in surprise. "Um."

                                                                                                                                      

Random Ramblings

   So did I surprise ya yet?

3 comments:

  1. Lol surprised. I'm really liking your story
    I just hope Lean is a nice guy, for some reason after what happened to them and them moving close to her seems kind of strange. It's probably just me lol, I'll keep reading to see what happens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking back.. no it kind of is strange that they moved to Oasis Springs but he's not a bad guy, I promise. Thanks for reading and commenting. It makes me happy to know someone is enjoying my story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like them! I was hoping something might happen between the two of them. We shall see!

    ReplyDelete