Saturday, October 25, 2014

Chapter 1.9: The Sky was Lightening

     "I should have called it off," Rachael said after her billionth check in the mirror.

     "Ray," Rhidian knocked on her bedroom door, "Cerulean's at the door."

     "Coming," Rachael called back. One final check in the mirror and she opened the door.  She jumped when her brother was still in the kitchen.


     "Whoa, Ray," Rhidian said looking at her outfit.

     "Too much?" she asked looking down at her skirt and top.

     "Not for a date," Rhidian assured her.  "Stop worrying Ray.  Go, have fun."

     "Right," Rachael breathed deep, "fun.  What is that again?"

     Rhidian laughed, "go."

     "Yeah, yeah. Going," she called back, walking out of the house.

     "Hi Rachael," Cerulean said at the door. "Wow, you look good."

     "Thanks.  And you can call me Ray, 'Rachael' is bit of a mouthful."

     "Then I guess you'll have to call me Lean.  For the same reason,"  he said offering her an arm.

     She took the offered limb asking, "so where are you taking me on our date?"

     "Do you like surprises?"

      "Sometimes."

      Cerulean smiled down at her but didn't say anything more.  Rachael shook her head but kept walking in step.


     "The Solar Flare Lounge?" Rachael asked when they arrived.

     "Is this place okay?"

     "I don't know.  I've never been here before."

     "What? Never?  You mean never, never?"

     Rachael shook her head. "I've been too busy working to go on many dates and usually when I have they're at the nightclub in Willow Creek."

     "Well guess it's time to remedy that," he said holding the door open for her.  Inside the stairs led up to the lounge and bar.  Loud music drifted down as Rachael followed Cerulean up.

     At the top Rachael stopped to look around the room.  A couple of sims sat at the bar, a small group stood around a makeshift stage in the corner where one sim was performing and a few sims were dancing in that corner of the room.

     "What'll it be first? Dancing or drinking?" Cerulean asked.

     Rachael looked around again, her eyes stopping at the sims dancing.

     "Dancing it is," Cerulean walked her out to the dance floor.


     Rachael laughed at the dorky two step Cerulean did.  Cerulean laughed with her before taking her hands and pulling her into a more moderate dance.

     "Good, you laughed," he said.

     "Sorry, was I being too serious," she asked looking up at him.

     "Not for what life has thrown at you.  But it's important to enjoy life too.  I have a feeling you don't let yourself enjoy very often."

     Rachael looked away and over to the performer over his shoulder.  "It's tough when you have four younger siblings relying on you to keep them fed and a roof over their head.  It really doesn't leave a lot of time for fun."

     "I get that.  I don't have siblings but I've got my boy.  His happiness is my goal everyday."

     Rachael smiled taking a step back, "I'm getting thirsty.  Think we can get a drink," she asked with a nod in the direction of the bar.

     "Sure," Cerulean said letting her go.

     Rachael went to find a seat while Cerulean walked up to the bar.  He brought her back a pink drink in a glass.

     "What's this," Rachael asked tilting her head to the side.

     "It's called 'Sea Splash'.  Try it," he offered her the drink.

     "It's good," Rachael said in surprise.  Sitting back in her seat and sipping her drink, Rachael looked at Cerulean.

     "What?" he asked.

     "Just trying to figure out why you're single.  You're funny, good-looking, great with your son.  You're a girls dream-catch.  So what happened with Ochre's mom?"

     Cerulean pulled back into his seat and looked away, "It's complicated."

     "Sorry.  I didn't mean to pry."

     "No, it's a fair question.  I've invited you out on a date, you deserve some answers.  Give me a moment to think, please."

     Rachael waited while Cerulean thought.

     "First off you need to know that I'm not together with his mom anymore.  I never would have asked you out if I was."

     Rachael nodded her head when he looked at her.

     "She's not a part of our lives.  Never has been a part of Ochre's after he was born.

     "We were together for awhile but we wanted different things with our lives.  We made choices that pulled us apart, she left and Ochre stayed with me"

     "Thank you for sharing that with me," Rachael said when he stopped speaking.

     "It's getting surprisingly late, or early as the case may be.  I'll take you home,"  Cerulean stood and held out a hand to Rachael.

     Rachael looked at his hand a moment before taking it and letting him help her up.


     "Well, this is me," she said outside her house.

     To the east the sky was lightening as the sun started to rise.


     "Thank you for a good night," Rachael said kissing Cerulean on the cheek.

     As she started to step back Cerulean wrapped his arms around her and kissed her again.

     Rachael stood in his arms letting the kiss carry her.  As he started to pull away she followed him this time, kissing him.


     "I really should go inside," she whispered when they finally stopped.

     "Right," he said.  "I'll, uh, let you go then."

     "Uh-huh," Rachael agreed.

     "Um, Ray, you need to let go of my jacket."

     "Right," she said looking at her fingers gripping his jacket.  With effort she managed to pull her hands away and let him go.

     "Have a good day Ray," Cerulean said starting to walk away.

     "Bye," Rachael said leaning back against her door and watching him leave.  She crossed her arms and brought one hand up to her mouth.

     "Dang, that was a ten for sure."

                                                                                                                                 
Random Ramblings

   Yay.  A new start for Rachael.  

   So when I was writing the part about the sun coming up I didn't realize how prophetic it was going to sound... :O  In proof reading and searching for a line for the chapter title I realized it.

   It's taken nine chapters but finally life is beginning again.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I like him. I hope things work out. I want her to be happy. She totally deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really does. Everyone deserves happiness and for her it's family and taking care of them that makes her happiest.

    ReplyDelete