Monday, November 24, 2014

Chapter 1.21: Try To Talk

     When Rachael returned from Mag's house and talking to Cerulean she found Patrick helping Ochre and River with their homework assignments.

     "Welcome home baby girl," Patrick said as Rachael walked into the kitchen.


     "I'm back," Rachael said going into the dining room and kissing Patrick's cheek.  Rachael walked over to each of the children and looked over their homework.  As she looked at each one she placed a kiss to the top of their heads before going back to the kitchen to start cooking.

     As she was getting bread from the top of the refrigerator for BLT sandwiches Ochre came up to her in the kitchen.

     "What do you have there," Rachael asked seeing the paper in his hand.

     Ochre held it up for her to see.  At the top he had written My Famly.  It was a crayon drawing of several stick figures and over each figure was a name in Ochre's writing. Daddy, Me, Rver, Patric, Ridan, Beks, Baby. Over the last figure Rachael assumed was herself he had written Mommy.


     "It's beautiful Ochre," Rachael said giving the little boy a hug.

     Ochre smiled at her before going back to the dining room and his homework.  Rachael turned back to the food and tried to surreptitiously wipe the tears that had gathered in her eyes at the little boys innocent display of affection.

     "He was proud to show it off when he came home from school this afternoon," Patrick said as the children crossed the kitchen to return their schoolbooks to their bedroom.

     Rachael smiled, "I don't think I've ever wanted to cry from sheer happiness so much before."

     "Kids will do that to you a lot," Patrick chuckled, "then they make you want to pull your hair out from sheer frustration."

     "Was it ever really that bad?" Rachael asked.

     "You don't remember all the fights you got into with the boys from when you were kids," Patrick asked back.

      Rachael laughed aloud, "oh yeah.  Lord we were loud then.  Running through the house, screaming at all hours."

     "You chased them up the tree in the back yard.  And it was a palm tree." Patrick laughed with her.

     "They broke my 'Pretty Sissy' doll. I was mad," Rachael shrugged.  "Is Becks in her room?"

     Patrick shook his head, "She called when the school let out.  Said she was going to hang out at a friends house this evening."

     "Is she coming back for dinner?"

     "She didn't say but I doubt it."


     It was past two in the morning when the front door finally opened and Rebecca walked inside.

     Rachael gave a brief but fervent prayer of thanks her sister was okay before the fear from the last several hours had her lashing out.

     "Just what time do you think it is Rebecca.  What are you doing coming home at this hour."

     Rebecca jumped when Rachael spoke.  She turned to see Rachael sitting on the couch.


     "Sheesh you nearly gave me a heart attack Ray," she said putting a hand over her chest.

     Rachael felt her brows climb up at her sister's response.  "Nearly gave you a heart attack.  What do you think I've been doing all night.  You didn't answer your phone when I tried calling you."

     "I didn't hear it ring, okay."

     "No. No it's not okay.  What good is that cell phone if you don't answer it and use it to let your family know you're all right.  I've been thinking you were hurt or dead all night."

     Rebecca sank onto the chair next to the door and crossed her arms during Rachael's tirade.  "There's no need to give yourself a heart attack.  I'm fine.  I was with my friends."

     "What kind of friends would keep you at this late and not let their own parents know they're okay?"

     "They are my friends Ray. Get used to it." Rebecca shouted.


     "Enough you two," Patrick said interrupting their fight, "Rebecca get to bed.  You have school in the morning."

     "Whatever Dad," Rebecca muttered as she got up and left the room.

     The door to the kids bathroom slammed as Rebecca went about her bedtime routine.

     Rachael groaned as she sat on the couch and dropped her head to her hands.

     "What are we going to do with her," she asked rhetorically.

     Patrick sat next to her and patted her on the back.


     "Don't think about it much tonight.  I'll pick her up from school tomorrow and get her to help me with the garden.  I need to do some shopping for new plants anyways."

     "How long is this phase going to last," Rachael asked him.

     "What makes you think this is a phase," Patrick asked.  "She might not do the things you think she should but it's her life to do what she wants with it.  She's still your sister."

     "Patrick at this point I would be happy if she just finishes school but that is in jeopardy with all her skipping.  How is she going to get a decent job if she doesn't graduate?  I'm scared for her. Scared of what her future holds."

     Patrick smiled, "baby girl. When was the last time you really sat down and talked to your sister?"

     "She doesn't talk to me anymore.  She yells at me. Often."

     "Try to talk to your sister, okay?

     "Okay Patrick.  I'll try."

                                                                                           
Random Ramblings

    Another chapter down.  I'm trying to come to the climax of Rachael's story while setting up the backgrounds for other stories I have in mind. On to the next step...

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm....I'm very curious about all of this! I really like where you're going with it, though.

    ReplyDelete