Sunday, November 16, 2014

Chapter 1.18: No Words To Express

     The two weeks since Cerulean left to track the escaped fugitive passed slowly for everyone in the house.  Rachael didn't get to speak with him while he was gone.  It was a security protocol his family had long established for agents in the field.  Mags gave her daily updates and passed messages along for Rachael, but it wasn't the same as hearing his voice.

     She missed having him home and she could tell Ochre, River and even Rebecca missed his being there too.  And he was coming home today.  Rachael could tell from her last conversation with Mags that they were disappointed he hadn't found the escapee or any more information during his trip but she was looking forward to his return.

     While she knew that he would have to leave again after the party to follow more leads, she was happy they were going to get to see him for the short time he would be home.

     Rachael got up early to make breakfast for the children before they left for school.  Her stomach rumbled as she fried the bread for grilled cheese sandwiches.

     "Grilled cheese?  That's not a breakfast food, Ray," Rebecca said coming into the kitchen.



     "I was craving something cheezy," Rachael said moving sandwiches from the pan to a plate.  Setting the platter on the table Rachael joined Rebecca at the island to eat.

     "Where's your sister and Ochre?" she asked biting into her sandwich.

     Rebecca made a face at her sandwich before eating it.  She hadn't told anyone why but the kids were putting up with a lot of weird meal choices since Rachael found out that she was pregnant.  None of them did much more than make funny faces although the girls had begged Rhidian to make them something else when Rachael made apple pie and chili for dinner one night.

     "So what kind of cake do you want for your birthday tonight?" Rachael asked.

     "Are you making it?" Rebecca asked.

     Rachael had to bite back a smile when she saw the horror on her sister's face at the thought of her cooking.

     "I was going to, but if you want I can ask Rhidian if he would mind baking it."

     "Good.  Tell him I want a strawberry cake please."

     "Right," Rachael said as River and Ochre walked through the kitchen.  "Good morning you two."


     "Morning Ray.  When is Lean coming home?" River said taking a plate of grilled cheese.

     "This morning while you three are at school.  He'll be here for Becks party tonight after you get home."

     "Good." the kids said.  They were convinced that Lean's absence was the reason for Rachael's unusual cooking.



     Something brushing her cheek woke her from her afternoon nap.  Opening her eyes Rachael smiled when she saw Cerulean leaning over her.

     "You're home," she said brushing her fingers along his cheek.

     "I'm back," he said catching her hand and pressing a kiss to her fingers.  "I didn't think I would a sleeping beauty waiting for me when I got here though.  Is everything okay?"

     "Yeah, I worked this morning and took the afternoon off so that I could greet you when you got home.  Guess I goofed that up."

      "Nah, this is a nice way to find my wife after being gone for so long," Cerulean said helping her sit up on the bed before sitting in the chair next to the bed.


     "I have some news for you," Rachael said.

     "What is it," Cerulean asked.

     "I'm pregnant," she blurted out.

     When he didn't say anything Rachael started babbling, "I found out two days ago,  I wasn't feeling well recently.  I was getting sick and nothing was tasting right so I went to the doctors and they did the test and I'm six weeks pregnant and you're not saying anything.  Why aren't you saying anything?"

     "I'm still trying to process 'pregnant'," Cerulean admitted.  "A baby?  You're sure?

     "Yeah," Rachael smiled.  Taking his hand she pressed it over her flat stomach, "we have a baby growing inside me."


     Cerulean moved to sit next to her on the bed.  He fanned his fingers over her stomach.

     "A baby," he said again.  When he looked up at her Rachael saw unshed tears in his eyes.

     "Are you happy about this?" Rachael asked.

     "I don't have the words to express how happy I am," Cerulean said leaning over and pressing a kiss to her lips, "thank you Ray."

     Rachael smiled, "tonight is Becks birthday so I want to tell everyone tomorrow.  Let today be about Rebecca, you know?"

     Cerulean nodded his head.  Cerulean lay down on the bed and pulled Rachael down with him.  He wrapped her in his arms they laid together in silence.  Rachael rested her head on his shoulder and had just started to doze off again when he spoke.

     "I stopped by Mags's house on the way home.  She thinks that the next likely place to look is Starlight Shores.  She's already making arrangements for me to go there in the next day or two with Viridian."

     "How long will you be gone?" Rachael asked without lifting her head.  She didn't want him to see the disappointment she felt knowing he would be leaving again so soon.

     "Two, maybe three weeks was her original estimate but I'm going to tell her I can't be gone longer than two weeks and I need at least a week before going out again."

     Rachael kept silent knowing that he was trying his best to meet all of his responsibilities.  She didn't want to make it any harder on him, but it was disheartening to know he would only get a week here and there or a day every now and again in their foreseeable future.

     "I didn't get to go through the pregnancy process with Ochre's mom.  We weren't together when she found out and I didn't find out until she was almost eight months along.  I want to be a part of this time with you and the baby as much as I can," he started.

     "But you still have to find your escapee," she finished when he trailed off.

     "It's important that they go back to prison.  A lot of harm can be done to innocents if they aren't put away soon."

     "You're stubborn.  They'll get tired of running long before you give up the chase," Rachael said.

     Cerulean's laugh rumbled under her ear and Rachael smiled, happy just to habe made him laugh.

                                                                                            
Random Ramblings

   So the next generation is on their way.  

   Is it just me or are my chapters getting shorter of late?  Well I think it's better than super long anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Awww.....yay! Can't wait to meet the baby :)

    ReplyDelete