Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Chapter 1.19: More To Go Around

     "Happy birthday to yoouuuuu" the chorus trailed off as Rebecca blew out the candles on her strawberry cake, baked by Rhidian himself as she requested.


     "Happy birthday," several people called as Rebecca started cutting the cake and Rachael helped pass it out to all the guests.

     Their Uncle Michael had come, as will as Viridian, who was in town, and Mags.  Rachael looked around as Rhidian took the next plate from her.

     "Have you seen Rhonan?" she asked.

     "He's out on the patio avoiding dad."

     "He still hasn't talked to him them?"

     Rhidian shook his head and took the next plate to Patrick and Mags who were sitting in the dining area.

     "I want a big piece Lean," River piped up to Cerulean who had taken over cake cutting duties.

     Rachael found Rebecca near the island and walked over to her. 


     "Happy birthday baby sister," she said hugging her sister.

     "Ray I'm not a baby anymore," Rebecca said as Rachael let go.

     "You'll always be my baby sister.  Even when you're ninety years old.  Get used to it kiddo."

     Rachael smiled as Rebecca rolled her eyes.  She reached out and brushed one of the red locks of hair that fell out of her sister's pony tail.

     "You look so much like mom," she murmured.

     "Do I?" Rebecca asked.  "I don't really remember what she looks like at times."

     Rachael nodded, "You have her red hair, though your eyes are most definitely Patrick's.  This outfit though," she said gesturing to the grey sweater dress, grey hat, and cosmic print leggings Rebecca wore, "are definitely like great grandma Melody's.  Did you find them in the back of the closet?"

     "Yeah.  I found a picture of grandma Meghan with great grandma Melody and looked for this outfit.  What do you think?"

     "It looks good on you," Rachael said accepting the piece of cake Cerulean handed her.  Kissing her sister on the cheek she went with Cerulean to eat in the dining room leaving Rebecca to talk with Viridian and River.
   

     "Great party, Ray," Mags said as they sat down.

     "Thanks.  Rhidian baked the cake though.  You should have seen Becks face when she thought I was going to be cooking it.  I have never seen so much horror on a face before."

     "Why is that?" Cerulean asked, "you're a great cook."

     "I've made some odd choices lately for meals.  The kids have been very patient with me but I guess Becks just wanted a normal cake for her party."

     "That's not fair," Patrick said, "your chili and apple pie plates were quite good the other night."

     Rachael burst out laughing at the looks on Mags and Cerulean's faces.


     The door bell rang and Rachael went to let Mags in.  Viridian left after the party the night before so it was just Mags and the O'Malley household coming together for their announcement.

     "Girl, what is so top secret you couldn't have told everyone last night at the party," Mags asked walking inside. "Hi Mr. Donahugh," she greeted Patrick who sat next to the door.

     "Hello Magenta," he returned the greeting.


     Everyone was in the living room after that so Rachael went to sit on the loveseat next to Cerulean and Mags joined Rhidian and Rebecca on the couch.

     "Not secret, just big news.  Yesterday was Rebecca's birthday and we didn't want to take away from that," Cerulean said taking Rachael's hand.

     "Everyone, Cerulean and I are expecting a baby." Rachael announced.

     The room seemed to boom in volume as everyone tried to speak at once.  Asking when the baby was due? If they knew if it was a boy or girl yet?

     The only one that didn't say anything was Ochre.  He just looked back and forth between his dad and Rachael before running from the room.

     "Ochre," Cerulean called as the boy ran past.


     "Wait," Rachael said taking his hand as he started to get up to go after the boy, "let me talk to him first."

     Cerulean nodded so Rachael stood up and walked over to the boy's room.


     "Knock, knock," she said peeking around the door.

     Ochre was sitting on his bed not looking at her so Rachael entered the room.

     She sat on the bed next to him and let out a sigh.  "Big news, huh.  I can understand if you're a little scared of becoming a big brother."  

     She looked at the boy who just shrugged a shoulder.

     "That's not it, hmm," she hummed while looking back at the wall across the room. "Maybe it's because your dad is having another baby.  That's what it was for me."


     Rachael bit back her smile when Ochre finally looked up at her.  She nodded to herself, "Yep that was scary, alright."

     She looked at the boy,  "I mean what if my mom and Patrick didn't want me anymore now that they had the new baby.  That scared me bad.  I had nightmares for weeks because I couldn't tell them about it.  What if they didn't realize they didn't need me anymore and telling them made them realize it."

     The little boy nodded in understanding.

     "Finally my mom and Patrick sat me down to talk about my nightmares.  Do you know what they said when I finally told them how scared I was?"

     Ochre shook his head.

     "They said 'we love you, no matter what'."

     "Ochre, your dad and I love you.  The baby doesn't change that.  It only means our family is growing and there is more love to go around.  Not just love for the baby but for you too."

     "You're going to become a big brother and that's a big responsibility.  It means this baby is going to look up to you and want to do what you do.  But it also means this baby is going to love you every bit as much as your father and I do."


     Rachael wrapped the little boy in a hug.

     "We've never talked about it, you and I, but it's up to you what you want to call me.  Ray or 'mom' the choice is yours.  I would be honored if you ever decide you want to call me mom but only if you want to."

     "I love you Ochre.  It hasn't been very long but you're one of my babies, just like River and Rebecca.  Just don't tell them that okay," she asked.

     Ochre nodded his head in agreement.

     "Thanks," she said kissing him on the forehead, "neither one wants to consider me to be anything more than 'big sister Ray' but that's not how I see them anymore.  After all I helped take care of them from the very first day they came home."

     "Are you feeling a little better now," she asked him.

     Ochre nodded his head against her shoulder.  "Let's go see your dad, okay?"

     Ochre sat up and lead the way out of the room.  Cerulean was waiting for them in the hallway.

     "Everything okay?" he asked.


     "Yeah, Just a little talk about how much the baby is going to love his or her big brother and can't wait to meet such an amazing little boy," Rachael smiled down at the boy.  Ochre looked up at her and smiled back.

     "Okay then," Cerulean said and leaned down to hug his boy, "I love you Ochre."

     Rachael smiled as the little boy patted his father on his back as if to say yeah, yeah, I love you too, but can we stop the mushiness already.  But the little smile on his face showed how much it meant to him to hear his father say the words.

                                                                                                            
Random Ramblings

    Jeez, I'm writing this and I'm making myself cry here.  Anyways, with the family dynamic I set up here I knew introducing the baby should cause some confusion with Ochre but Rachael has the unique experience of having gone through it herself :O 

   So in comes this scene where she talks with Ochre about what she herself might have felt in the past.  Maybe not with the twins cuz she was theoretically only two...maybe three years old when her mom was pregnant with them but certainly a possibility with Rebecca's birth.

   The story marches forward and time moves on.

2 comments:

  1. So good. Made me a little teary eyed. Well executed!

    ReplyDelete