Saturday, November 15, 2014

Chapter 1.17: For Your Sake

     Rachael stretched in the bed before looking at the clock on the dresser.  1:34 pm.  She had time before the children would be returning from school.  She got out of bed and put on her dress before going to the kitchen and opening the refrigerator, looking at the notes on it.  Work til 8 -R.

     So Rhidian would be at work until later that night leaving her to make an after school meal for the children.  Rachael checked for the ingredients for grilled cheese sandwiches and seeing them closed the door.  Leaving the room she found Cerulean at the computer desk.


     "News from work?" she asked.

     "Mags compiled a list of recent sightings.  The evidence suggests that the fugitive is in Bridgeport."

     "Bridgeport?  That's at least an eight hour flight from here."

     "Yeah.  I've been talking with her and Viridian, trying to determine how concrete her reports are and if I should go..." he trailed off.

     Rachael looked at Cerulean as he stared at the computer screen, deep in thought.

     "You need to go," she said.


     Cerulean looked up at her in surprise.  Rachael smiled pleased that she had surprised him.  "You need to go," she repeated, "you need to find this fugitive and put them away again or you are obviously going to worry about the harm they could do to the children."

     "It's unlikely they would ever be able to find us here.  Mags is amazing at her job and she arranged for the move in a way that wouldn't leave a trail."

     "You're still worried," Rachael pointed out cupping his chin with her hands.  "How long will you be gone?"

     "It shouldn't be more than a week or two.  I need time to investigate the sightings and maybe find them but I'll be back by Rebecca's birthday."

     Rachael nodded, "Okay."

     "Are you sure you're okay with this," Cerulean asked pulling her to sit in his lap.

     Rachael shook her head, "No I'm not sure, but you need to do this.  I'll make myself be okay with it."

     "You are amazing," he said.

     "It's promising for our future that you recognize that now," Rachael tried joking.

     Cerulean laughed before releasing her to make the arrangements with his brother and sister.

     Rachael went back to the kitchen and started cooking sandwiches for an early dinner.


     "It was Joey's fault.  He kept pulling my hair and when I told him to stop the Principal told me to behave but I was behaving.  It was Joey who wasn't behaving."

     Rachael nodded as River told them about her day at school.  She looked at Cerulean who nodded to her, letting her know he was ready to tell the kids he would be leaving the next day.

     "Rebecca, River, Ochre, I have some news for you three," Cerulean said when River stopped talking, "I have to go away for work for a couple of weeks.  You three, Ray, Rhidian and Patrick will be here on your own."


     "Are you coming back?" River asked.

     "He has to come back," Rebecca interrupted before either adult could answer, "he's married to Ray."

     "Right now Lean will be gone for two weeks," Rachael broke in before the girls could start arguing. "He's planning to return the day before your birthday Becks."

     Rachael looked at Ochre sitting next to her.  The boy wouldn't say a word but worry was all over his face.


     "It's not forever," she said taking his hand, "It's just for work.  River, Becks and I will be here with you.  Okay?"

     Ochre squeezed her hand and nodded his head.


     That night Rachael tucked the children in.  Ocre was first.


     "Goodnight," she said kissing his forehead while the girls got ready for bed behind her.

     She smiled and brushed back his hair as he yawned.  Turning she walked through the arch to the girls room.  River was already in bed as Rebecca climbed under the covers.
   

     "Goodnight girls," she said

     "Goodnight Ray," two voices said from under the covers.

     Leaving the room Rachael ran into Patrick in the hallway.


     "You're back," Rachael said hugging the old man.

     "You didn't really think you were getting rid of me so easy did you?" he asked with a chuckle.

     "No.  I just didn't know when you were returning.  You missed dinner," she said.

     "I ate with your uncle.  How are the girls?'

     "Sleeping or nearly asleep by now."

     Patrick took Rachael's hand and walked her to the fireside chairs where he gestured for her to sit.  He took the other seat as she sat in the chair.  "Cerulean mentioned he had to leave in the morning for work."


     Rachael nodded.

     "How are you taking it?" Patrick asked.

     Rachael looked at him.  "Wise old man's eyes," she smiled, "they see everything don't they?"

     Patrick chuckled.  "What they don't see I try to remember from my own experiences.  Your mother had to travel a lot for her work.  I stayed home with you kids.  Even though we would have been happy to, life wouldn't let us spend every waking moment together.  It didn't make being apart any easier though," he finished rubbing his knees.

     "Are your knees bothering you?" Rachael asked.

     "Just old man joints," Patrick brushed off her concerns, "you didn't answer me."

     "I'm not sure how I feel about it," Rachael said looking down at her hands in her lap.  "It's his work though and it's important to him so I can't tell him not to go."

     "Yeah, that's a hard place to be.  But don't be so brave you forget to tell him how much he will be missed.  That was my greatest regret when your mother died.  I didn't get a chance that morning to tell her that I loved her."

     "She knew you loved her Patrick," Rachael began.

     "I know that child," Patrick stopped her, "but telling her and making sure she knew each and everyday how honored I was that she accepted my proposal was my happiness.  I planned to tell her that night at our dinner out but she never came home."

     "My point, baby girl," Patrick said looking at her, "is don't let that young man go off without saying it for your sake.  Not his."

     Patrick got up from his chair and walked over to Rachael and kissed the top of her head.

     "Goodnight Rachael."

     "Goodnight Patrick," Rachael said as Patrick went into his room and closed the door.  Rhidian had already called and said he was staying the night at a friends place.  Something about the way he said it made Rachael suspect that the friend was a girl but she hadn't pressed him for details.  He would no doubt talk when he was ready and not a moment before.

      Rachael got up from her chair and after putting out the fire went through the kitchen to hers and Cerulean's room.  As she was putting on her night gown the door to the bathroom opened and Cerulean came out.

     "How did Ochre do?" he asked.

     "He did fine.  I think he might have been asleep before I told the girls goodnight," Rachael said.  "Thank you for letting me tuck him in."

     Cerulean shook his head and sat on the bed, "Thank you.  It's important to me to know that you're here to take care of him when I'm not."


     Rachael walked over until she sat next to him on the bed.  Taking his hand she said, "he has your brother and sister, too.  No matter what happens he's going to be okay.  But don't you dare let that make you cocky and end up getting hurt.  Am I clear?" she frowned at him.

     Cerulean smiled.  "Crystal," he said kissing her frown away.

     "I love you," Rachael said kissing him back.

     "I love you too, Mrs. Palette."

                                                                                                               
Random Ramblings

   Okay so here is the second half of the last chapter.  Like I said it was getting too long so I had to break it into two parts.

   Now go get that fugitive Lean.  o/


2 comments:

  1. I love how good Rachael is with all of the children, even Ochre. Makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. She's a good sister/mom to her younger siblings and I think that's helped prepare her for mothering Ochre. Or she just has that natural 'mom' personality.

      Delete