Friday, January 23, 2015

Chapter 2.24: Dreams

     It hurt Ochre to hear the sadness but he didn't want to hurt her more by making a promise he couldn't keep.  He understood her reservations and respected her protectiveness over their daughter but he would have to show her she didn't need to protect Amy from him.

     He had done a lot of damage to their relationship when he left, the first step to fixing it would be to find a way to show he would be here.  Not just for Amy but for Emrys too.

     He followed her to the front door after they finished eating.  She was opening the door when a thought occurred to him.

     "Em?" he stopped her before she left.


     She turned to look at him.

     "Earlier, when we were talking, you said you loved me.  That you've loved me since the day we met."

     Emrys looked down at the ground but didn't deny what he was saying.

     "Do you still love me or am I an even bigger idiot than I knew?"

     Emrys remained silent, refusing to look up at him now.

     "Okay," he nodded to himself, making a decision.

     "Okay...what?" Emrys asked, finally looking at him.

     "You still love me.  You don't want to, because you're afraid I'll let you down again, but you do."

     "You can't know that," she whispered.

     Ochre grinned at her, "I'm going to prove that you can trust me again.  And when you're ready we'll go on dates and be a family."

     While she stuttered in disbelief.  Ochre leaned over and brushed a butterfly kiss over her lips before pushing her out the door and closing it.

     "You said we would talk about this after," she yelled through the door at him.


     Ochre laughed.  Placing his hands on the door he leaned against it, "I didn't think I could promise I wouldn't be an idiot again.  But I've been an idiot all along and you still love me anyways.  I'm not going to let my mistakes rob us of a life together.

     "I told you I had a dream when I woke up all those years ago and you were still sleeping.  I dreamt of what our future could be together Em.  I saw red-haired children and home full of laughter and love.  Em, that dream has kept me from moving on with anyone else 'cuz it wouldn't be with you.  I want it all Em and I want it with you."

     He placed his head against the door and closed his eyes, "consider this your warning, because I won't let fear stop us any more.  Not mine and not yours either.  I'm coming home."

     Ochre listened and for a long time there was no response from the other side of the door.

     Then there was a soft thump and Ochre opened his eyes.  On the other side Emrys mirrored his stance and was looking directly at him.  He saw worry and fear in her eyes but in the deepest depths there was the smallest glimpse of hope as well.

     "Be sure Ochre," she whispered through the door.  "Please don't promise me anything you won't deliver."

     "I promise Em.  We have a lot of things to work out but I'm going to be here for the both you and Amy."

     Emrys stared at him some more before turning to walk down the stairs and across the street.  By the time she reached the corner Ochre was already pulling the phone out of his pocket.

     "Hey dad.  I need your help with something."

                                                                                       
Random Ramblings

   So...thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment