Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Chapter 2.5: Can't Stop Now

     "That took forever," Emrys groaned as they arrived back at the O'Malley place. 

     The police had arrived at the bar to stop a fight.  No one in the main room was seriously hurt, only a few stools were broken when they were used as weapons.  Once the fight was over they found the body in the restroom.

     Emrys's target was found dead in the restroom.  The police needed a statement but as he was wanted across the space colonies for drug and weapon trafficking for a rising crime family, his death was sanctioned by the interstellar tribunal.  Which meant Emrys, as an independent agent, got paid the bounty on his head.


     "You could have let us know you were there for the rat too.  We had all the paperwork taken care of if you had clued us in.  You wouldn't have had to go through the process after the fact." Hunter said.

     "First rule of the job, Hunter.  Besides what could I have said, 'I'm on assignment and I'm supposed to take out this target.'" Emrys quipped.  She quickly went through the mail, handing Toya his letter before putting the rest of it on the table by the door, "Aunt Ray, Uncle Lean we're back."

     "I'm at my desk," Aunt Ray called.


     Emrys walked in to see her aunt at her computer.

     Rachael turned around.  "Ochre," she said happily seeing him by the fireplace.  "You're home."

     "Hi mom, I'm just here to make sure everyone got home.  I'm going to head out to my place now."

     Rachael's smile drooped, "Oh, okay.  Come over for dinner tomorrow night.  You can bring that girl you're seeing."

     "Thanks mom.  I'll let her know."


     "Bye," Rachael said as Ochre walked out.  Emrys shook her head.  Ochre really was such an idiot at times.

     "Where are the girls," Emrys asked Rachael.

     "They're swimming outside with Lean.  Are you going to join them?"

     "Nah, I'm tired from traveling.  I'll say hi and tell them to dry off before I start cooking lunch."

     Rachael nodded and went back to her writing.  Emrys smiled when she exited the house.


     Cerulean waved from his seat on the edge of the pool where he sat next to his youngest child and only daughter.  Emrys waved back.

     "Mommy!  You're back."

     Emrys smiled as Amy swam towards her and climbed out of the pool.


     "Hey mini-me.  I'm home," Emrys laughed hugging her daughter. "You're getting me all wet."

     "You can come swimming then."

     "Oh no little miss.  Tell Uncle Lean and Saffron you guys need to dry off.  I'm going to cook lunch now."


     "Fine," Amy pouted.

     Emrys smiled and lightly pinched her daughter's lips.  "I'm cooking grilled cheese sandwiches."

     "Yay," Amy cheered and ran towards her great uncle.

     "No running," Emrys yelled at her.

     Amy immediately slowed to a fast walk around the pool.


     "The branch office called this morning," Rachael said coming into the room.

     "Yeah, another job well done," Emrys joked but it fell flat.

     "Em, don't make a joke of it," Rachael scolded.

     "Sorry, Aunt Ray," Emrys said, "it's just easier to deal with the job by making a joke of it.  Even if he was a criminal he was still a living sim."

     "If it's so hard, why not make your job with the paper full-time." Rachael asked.

     "I'm trying to catch the man that had my parents murdered Aunt Ray.  I can deal with whatever I have to do to catch him."

     The back door opened and the children chattered as they walked inside.

     "But what about the cost to your baby, Emrys.  Doesn't Amy deserve time with her mom?"

     Emrys looked up and smiled as the girls passed through the kitchen.  It was difficult to feel the gloom from her job when she had her own personal sun around.  Amy took the long way around and gave her mom a hug before joining Saffron in the dining area.

     "I have to finish what I started, Aunt Ray.  I can't stop now just because my life has changed.  If he ever found out about me and Amy he will come after us."

     "You're right.  As long as you're careful," she added, "because I'm not going to lose anyone in this family again."

     "I love you too," Emrys said kissing her aunt's cheek before carrying the platter of sandwiches into the dining area.

                                                                                         
Random Ramblings

   So yeah there's the newest chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment