Saturday, December 20, 2014

Chapter 2.7: On Your Own

     Emrys closed the book and kissed her sleeping daughter on the head.

     "Good night Saffron," she said to her cousin who had stayed awake for the entire story.

     "Good night Em," Saffron yawned and settled under her covers.

     Emrys turned off the light and closed the door.  It was still early so she should probably write an article for her publisher on traveling around the colonies so she could keep her cover job.

     When she got to the bottom of the stairs she saw a light from the backyard coming in the playroom windows.  She detoured through the computer room and stepped out into the night.


     "Got another one of those," she asked Toya when she saw him drinking juice.

     "Here's yours," he said holding one out to her.


     "Thank you," she said taking it and sitting on the bench next to him.  Toya put an arm around the back of the bench and Emrys settled against him.

     "What are you going to do about tomorrow," Toya asked.

     "Do about what," Emrys asked innocently.

     "Emmy," Toya playfully growled at her and squeezed her.

     Emrys giggled and wiggled in his hold. He let her go. She took a sip of her juice and grew pensive. "I don't know.  How do I tell him after all these years?" she asked, "for that matter should I even tell him?"

     "He has a right to know."

     "Maybe." She said quietly, then sighed, "why couldn't you find me attractive Toya.  It would solve a lot of my problems."

     Toya laughed, "I happen to find you to be a very attractive sim Emmy. Both inside and out.  You just don't rev my engine."

     Emrys laughed aloud at that.

     "Besides Emmy, I could never compete for you heart with that ghost you carry around."

     For awhile the two of them were quiet just looking up at the stars and sipping their drinks.  It was Emrys who broke the silence first.

     "I've loved him for so long Toya.  Ever since I was a little girl. How do I stop?"

     "That's a million simoleon question," he answered kissing the top of her head.

     "What did your mom write in her letter?" Emrys asked changing the topic.

     Toya snorted, "she writes that her boyfriend broke up with her and threw her out of the apartment they shared.  Seems he objected to finding her in bed with another sim.  She's asking if I can send her some money to get out of Sunlit Tides."

     "I thought she was in Lucky Palms?"

     "So did I," he sighed.

     Emrys looked at him, "how much did you send?"

     "Thirty thousand simoleons."

     Emrys grimaced and put her head back on his chest, "a hefty amount but a pittance to what you make from the software you design."

     "I sent a letter with it.  I told her that this is the last time I'm giving her money.  I'm done with it Emmy, I can't keep bailing her out and going through this every time she needs money.  It just makes me feel so alone."

     "You're not alone," she said hugging him.  "You promised me when Amy was born that you would be there for her.  Well, I'm here for you and I always will be."


     "Besides," Emrys said, "you have an entire family here with Hunter and everyone else.  You and I can't really say we'll ever be on our own again.  Can we?"

     "You're right.  I just have this feeling in my bones that some kind of storm is on its way."

     "Well, we'll just have to weather it out.  But we can because we're a family.  All of us. Together." she said pointedly.

     "Alright, we're a family.  You made your point."

     "Good," Emrys said settling back against him, "now what am I supposed to do about tomorrow?"

     "You're on your own with that one," Toya said.

                                                                               
Random Ramblings

   So can anyone guess what they are talking about?  Anyone?

   Read on to find out...Or wait until the next chapters are posted, whichever is available at your time of reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment